Monday, March 23, 2009

A Rite of Passage (Sort Of)

Yesterday evening I submitted myself for a role in film by USC graduate students. It's non paid, and while I didn't come to LA to do non paid roles, many say actors new to the area should do one or two USC film school films as (1) it's a great experience with some very talented film makers, and (2) some go on the greater things and, if you did a good job, they just might remember you at a later time. Also, I understand the film footage is usually great for your demo reel. The film shoots over two weekend in April, and I have no idea if I will get to audition or be cast. Doing a USC film school production is somewhat of a rite of passage for new actors in LA, and while I may be an older actor, I definitely qualify as a new actor in LA.

This coming Friday, I renew my studies with my Hollywood acting coach. He's not easy on his students. In fact, he's damn hard on them, and that is probably why so many of his students swear by him (he likes to say that a few have sworn at him). Suffice to say, it will be great to be studying with him once again. If some of you find it strange that I refer to him as my Hollywood acting coach, rather than by name, I have formed the policy of not using the names of well known people (or even semi well known people) in the film industry, as I believe a person's privacy should be protected all all time, whenever possible. Therefore, you will hear me refer to many film industry people by their title, instead of their name.

However, here is one name I will share with you. On Thursday, I am having lunch in Pasadena with Dr. Bill Thomson, my old college music professor. He had a great career in music education, teaching at such places as Indiana University, and Hawaii, before finally settling in as the head of the music department at USC, a position he held until his retirement. I remember him as a wonderful teacher, a fine arranger, and a good musician. He was one of the two or three most influential people in my development, as I grew from a boy into a man during my four years in college. It will be awfully good to see him once again.

And so goes the life of an itinerant actor in LA. One bedroom apartments, auditions where you find them, acting lessons, and later....showcases, SAG cards, agents and who knows what else.

Like the old Saturday serials at the movie theater (If you are under 50, forget it, as you have no idea what I'm talking about) there's always another chapter next week (or, who knows, maybe tomorrow).

Until then...........

No comments:

Post a Comment