Sunday, January 10, 2010

On The Road Again.

It has been said many times that the only real constant in life is change. And so it is with my acting career.

On, January 23rd, my wife is flying to LA. On January 25th, we will begin our drive back to our home in a suburb of Seattle, as I make the move from LA back to the Pacific Northwest. In truth, it had been difficult for my wife and me to be apart, and that is my reason for moving back.

Some people come to Southern California and hate it, but I am not one of those. Like most areas it has some really neat features and some that are not all that great. My reason for returning to Washington State has nothing to do with any dissatisfaction with LA.

When I return to the Northwest, the geographical scope of my acting will be quite a bit different than it was before I came to LA. Before, I was pretty much a Seattle actor, auditioning, working, and studying in and nearby the area where I lived. This time, while I will continue to ply my acting wares in the Seattle area, I will also expand into Portland (see below), Vancouver BC (where many TV shows and films are shot), and also in LA, where I have made some good contacts. I will, in the future, attend casting director workshops in LA, and continue to study with my current acting coach, both in Hollywood, and when he makes trips to Seattle, where he used to live. I plan to stay at the same level of effort regarding acting in the Pacific Northwest, as I was in LA over the past year.

On February 6th and 7th, I will be attending a workshop in Portland specifically designed for actors wishing to appear in the TNT cable series "Leverage", which is shot entirely in Portland.

Vancouver BC is a tough nut for an American actor (not the star of a TV show or film) to crack, but it has been done by US actors before, and I will make every effort (including trips to that lovely city) to see what I can accomplish up there.

In essence, I will be much more of a traveling actor than I was, prior to living in LA, but I will do it from our Seattle suburban home.

My year in LA has been wonderful. I have met some very talented people, made some great contacts, found more work than I would have imagined, and all in all have benefited in many ways from the experience. While, like most actors I still have much to learn, I am a better, more confident actor now than I was when I arrived in LA. I feel that moving down here was a good idea, just as moving back home is now. Whether it's for a year or forever, I highly recommend to all actors who can swing it that they spend some time living in LA.

As it is with all of us, old chapters close, while new ones begin in our life, and I am looking forward greatly to this one to find out what lies ahead.

This blog was originally created to chronicle my journey as an actor in LA. However, now that I have decided to move back to the Seattle area, I have also decided to continue with blog entries here, as I start yet another leg on my journey. One of the neat things about being an actor is that each day holds the possibility of a new adventure, project, or task. A phone call, or an email and another door opens....another opportunity presents itself. Professional athletes have a schedule which tells them where they will be playing on any given day. Actors do not. I kind of like it that way.

Stay tuned...............

No comments:

Post a Comment