Sunday, May 3, 2009

Phase Two

After two months in LA, it is now time to begin phase two. That's probably a bit misleading as going to phase two doesn't mean stopping phase one at all, but instead, now phase one and two will run concurrently. Are you confused? I know I am so maybe I had better explain it to both of us. Phase one is taking lessons from my Hollywood acting coach and scouring the audition notices and services to see what film and/or TV work I might find. This has gone fairly well with one commercial (shot a couple of weeks ago), an audition for an infomercial, in which I was not cast, a small role in a film (which I shot on location,today), and of course my auditions for small roles in two NBC series, which I was fortunate to do several days after I arrived in town.

Today's shoot was only six miles or so from where I live (a rarity in LA to be working that close to home) and the director and crew couldn't have been nicer or more professional. It was a fun experience. The director has done some nice work on sci-fi films, although this film isn't sci-fi.

So, in addition to continuing what I have been doing, I must start exploring (phase two) the world of agents and casting directors via submissions of headshots, resumes and a short cover letter. Most are mailed, but some must be dropped off in person (oh goodie, more LA freeway driving. Don't you love it!). There are two magazines which are a great help. One is called "The Agencies" and list all agents, who they are looking for, are they SAG franchised or not (the "or not" being those who will work with non-union actors). "The Agencies" comes out on the first of every month. The other magazine comes out every two months and is called The "Casting Director Guide". It lists all casting directors, what they are working on, what they have worked on, and what type they are looking to audition in the near future. The magazine even lists the personal likes (showing confidence, being prepared, etc.) and dislikes (strong perfumes or shaving lotions, touching the casting director, etc.) of some of the casting directors. Finally in the front of the magazine is an alphabetical listing (a number of pages) of every TV and film project in town, and its status.

Samuel French bookstores (Studio City and Hollywood) are the major acting bookstores in the area and the magazines may be purchased there, or you may also subscribe to them and have them mailed to you. I drove to Studio City yesterday to buy both.

For phase two, I will need to have headshots printed. I brought about thirty with me (and have used eight or nine since being here.), but for phase two I will need at least a couple of hundred. I will also need to prepare mailing labels. You can buy them pre-printed, but I have decided to enter the information myself (from the two magazines) and prepare them on my computer. Finally, there is the cost of postage, which wont be small, since before it's done (over the course of several months), I will be mailing a hundred to a hundred and fifty headshots. The purpose of all of this is to find an agent to represent me, and to put my face in front of as many casting directors as possible. it's all part of the marketing side of being an actor, and believe me when I say, represented by an agent or not, you must market yourself non-stop in this town, so as not to be buried by the thousands of actors all jockeying for agents, auditions, and roles in film, TV, and commercials. If you are planning on making the move to LA, bring a computer and printer, and know how to use them. Hitting town and quickly getting a top agent and landing a big role may happen in the movies, but very seldom in real life.

Last Wednesday, I had my best lesson ever with my acting coach. He had me do four cold reads (no preparation the day before). The first one went really well and he said it was "book it" quality, both the first and second times through. The second cold read, went very well, but not quite as well as the first, the third was again right on target, and the fourth one was only slightly below that. My acting coach does not give out compliments left and right, and when he tells me I did something that was the 'book it" quality that most casting directors are looking for, I have to believe him. Each lesson with him is an insight into what it takes to succeed in acting in LA, and it also tells me how close I am to that standard. It's my yardstick, and it was a highly encouraging hour that I spent with him, last week, as I moved a few inches higher on that stick.

More later...........

No comments:

Post a Comment