Sunday, April 12, 2009

Learning LA 101

No, the title of this entry doesn't refer to the freeway, which I live near in Southern California, but rather to this basic 101 courses we all took in college, no matter what our major.

My acting coach, told me that for the first few months after moving here, I would be learning how Hollywood, and the film and TV industry works in LA. I didn't give it all that much thought when he first mentioned it, but now I am beginning to see what he means.

In an earlier entry I explained how getting your SAG card as as an extra works. While what I told you wasn't incorrect, it was incomplete. It is true that if you work as an extra on three SAG films, and get a voucher for each film, you are then what is known as SAG eligible , and can join SAG whenever you want. However, here's the straight skinny on that. First, SAG films are required to hire so many SAG extras before they hire any non union extras. That, in essence, reduces the number of non union extras needed for each film. Secondly, voucher's for non union extras are not automatic, but instead are very subjective in that the First AD and the director have the absolute final say as to who, among the non union extras who have worked on a film, get a voucher and who does not (or in many cases, simply are not considered, and, therefore, left out). Conceivably, you could work many more SAG films as an extra than three, to finally get your three vouchers.

There is another route (several routes, actually) in getting your SAG card. You can join AFTRA. This takes no eligibility and anyone may join AFTRA any time they choose (with the initiation fee being roughly half of what the SAG initiation fee is). Then after one year, and providing you have had a principal role in an AFTRA sanctioned production, you are also considered SAG eligible, and may join at any time. I am not a stage actors, but members of Actor's Equity have that same rule about becoming SAG eligible.

Another way is to audition for, and be cast in a speaking role in a SAG film. This also makes you SAG eligible. However, this means you would have to be cast over the SAG actors who audition for the same role, and for casting a non SAG actor, the production company must pay a fine to SAG. It's not a huge amount, but it does add to their production costs. Does this ever happen? Sure, but not all that often.

So my education as a new actor in LA continues. In the meantime I am continuing to audition for roles in non union films (of which there are many), as I think about and plan for getting an agent. Speaking of auditions, I have an audition for the role of a priest tomorrow in a feature film. It's a small role, but newbies like myself audition when and where they can,

Yes, I know I have mentioned this before, but for those of you who read this who are musicians, you will particularly understand my feeling, as I drive by the Capitol Records building, as I take the Gower Street exit each time I drive to my acting coach's studio in Hollywood. Of course famous entertainment business locations and buildings are sprinkled all over this area. In Burbank you drive by NBC studios (the Tonight Show, with Jay Leno), Warner Brothers studios, and the Disney Studios. And of course nearby are Universal studios, and in Hollywood there's Sunset Gower Studios. While not as well known as the others it is the home to some well known TV shows (Heros and The Office, being two of them). Just a couple of blocks from the Sunset Gower Studios is the famous intersection of Sunset and Vine, and the Hollywood walk of fame.

Well, that's it for now. Talk with you soon............

No comments:

Post a Comment