Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Name Of The Game

Last time we talked I was on my way to LA to study with my acting coach in Hollywood, Glenn Haines. The trip has come and gone and it was a wonderful success. I had two lessons with Glenn (two hours Monday and two more hours on Tuesday), and both went extremely well. Those are Glenn's words, not mine, and those of you who know him also know he does not throw compliments around lightly. In looking at the DVD of the two lessons, I must admit that it was some of the better work I have done with Glenn. As all actors know, it's wonderful when it goes well, and something like walking in wet concrete when it does not.

I also attended a workshop on Sunday afternoon held by casting director Craig Campobasso. Those are quite lively, with anywhere from fifteen to twenty people in attendance, and it's always nice to work with LA actors once again.

This coming Saturday I will be in Portland, playing the role of a doctor in a film for the US Department of Justice. This will actually be the fifth film in which I have played a doctor (as Mr. Rogers might say, "Can you say typecasting?"). Not to worry, as it's a good role and I long ago ceased to worry about the fact that I play a lot of doctors, ministers (or priests), lawyers, and judges. It's honest work doing what I love to do and that's what matters to me. Besides, I've had the occasional roles of a crime lord, hit man, tough guard, corporate CEO, and psychiatrist just to spice things up.

This Saturday, I will be working for a media group which I have had the pleasure of working for before. They are quite professional, fun to work with, and make the set a very enjoyable place to be.

There is a group of actors in Seattle known as The Seattle Theater Readers. They do staged readings of short film scripts once a month at the JewelBox Theater in Seattle. They have accepted one of my short film scripts (a comedy private eye spoof) and will include it on their program this coming June.

I classify myself as an actor first, and a writer second. While that is an accurate statement, I do enjoy writing a great deal and look forward to having one of my screenplays presented in that manner.

Finally, I will be returning to LA sometime in April for more lessons with Glenn, as well as attending a casting director workshop (not sure which one, yet). I'm waiting on Glenn to let me know what openings he has in his schedule for that month before scheduling the trip.

So, actors....the name of the game is to keep studying....work when you can...and keep moving forward....works for me!

We'll talk later........................

No comments:

Post a Comment