Friday, January 30, 2009

Four Weeks To Go

Four weeks from tomorrow, My wife and I will start our car trip to LA. Of course by car, as without a car in LA....well, you get the idea. There is still much to do, as in having some dental work finished, getting a passport (yes, strangely enough, I've never had one), and finish planning all aspects of the move. While acting is very much a right brain activity, as in the phrase, "in the moment," there is much left brain activity in the preparation for acting (moving to LA, marketing, networking, having the proper headshots, a current resume in good condition, your own website, business cards, postcards, and all the other things that go into presenting and publicizing yourself as an actor). True, talent, training and experience are all necessary ingredients, but never forget marketing. As they say, you can't sell the best widget in the world if no one knows it exists.

There is a lot of usable information on the Internet about breaking into acting in LA. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of crap and scams mixed in with the usable part, and one needs to exercise great care is identifying and separating one from the other. With only a few exceptions, beware of websites that want to charge you a fee for audition information or for applying for auditions through their site. As I said, there are a few exceptions to that, and I will discuss those sites further once I am in LA.

Meanwhile, I'm getting in some last acting opportunies in the Seattle area . I auditioned for and was cast in a Microsoft corporate film last week. It's in the form of a comedy. I play the lead, and it should be great fun. I also auditioned for another film late last week, but have not heard the results of that audition yet.

So, now it's four weeks and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment